Friday Fun: Ways to Chill Out At Work
We all get stressed out at work from time to time. The end of the year is usually the most hectic time for most companies. With the holiday season fast approaching, it can be difficult to find time to just chill. Never fear! We have some great suggestions on ways you can take time to find your inner chill at work.
1 ) Switch up your station: If you have the luxury of being able to listen to music while you work, try switching the station to something more zen. Try a simple 5 or 10 minute guided meditation that you can do right at your desk. You can also listen to gentle classical music. It’s been proven that classical music can help to reduce stress, so why not switch the station to something more calming.
2) Do some desk stretches: Taking some time to stretch out your stress can really help with your mood. Check out some of these poses that can be easily done at your desk. These will increase blood flow and help loosen you up!
3) Take time to journal: Spend some time during your lunch break to get in some personal reflection. Even if you do this while eating your lunch, it’s worth the effort. If 10 minutes still is too much to spare we recommend this handy little One Line a Day Journal. This journal is perfect for people who can’t commit to longer writing sessions. It spans over the course of 5 years. Each page represents 1 day. Once the year is complete, you start back on page one and move to the next box. It’s a great way to see how far you’ve some on 5 year’s time all in one eyeshot.
4) Go for a 10 minute walk: No matter where you work, this is completely doable. It’s even better if you can get outside the office. Head to a local coffee shop, a nearby park or just aimlessly stroll the neighborhood. Taking time to get some air can help you clear your mind.
5) Get yourself a plant: Getting in some green therapy is an excellent way to destress. There are also plants that can help to clean the air around you so you get double the benefits. Try a small english ivy or philodendron to give you a boost of green energy. These plants are easy to care for and thrive in indoor environments.
6) Treat yourself to something sweet: We don’t encourage you to chow down on a 7 pound bag of chocolates. Being mindful and indulging in one or two small pieces of a favorite candy can help boost your mood. Take time to savor and don’t rush. Take your time and relish the moment before you get back to work.
7) Watch something short and funny: Those cute cat videos definitely serve a purpose. Watching a short video that incites laughter helps to improve your mood and can break you out of a mental rut. So go ahead, watch that hilarious fail video or a minute or two of stand up. Laughter is the best medicine.