5 Tips For Spring Cleaning Your Desk
A season means new opportunities to better your every day routine, and there’s no better time to get organized and clean out your workspace than right now. Just like keeping that old exercise resolution going, the hardest part is getting started. Just think about how much better you’ll feel spring cleaning all of that loose clutter out of your life. Here are 5 tips for a more organized desk.
1) Keep your work surface clear– We know it’s easier said than done, but keeping your desk clear will help to improve focus and speed up your workflow; two very important reasons to make the extra effort. Keep table top items at a minimum and neatly organized to avoid visual clutter. Wanna know the cardinal rule of spring cleaning? Always build a hierarchy of important supplies for yourself. Simple right? Here’s how it works. Only keep frequently used office supplies on your desk top. Items only used sometimes can store in the top drawer of your desk for easy access. Everything else can be kept in less accessible spaces such as lower drawers, closets or filing cabinets. If you are working on multiple projects at once, try using a table top organizer to minimize clutter and regain precious table space.
2) Build up!– Desk tops filing cabinets and drawers are the obvious solution to clutter issues, but what do you do if you’ve maxed out those spaces? Using wall space to build up is a great way to maximize your work area. Try adding wall shelves, hooks, and hanging filing systems to your desk or cube to bring the action off your desk top.
3) Utilize drawer space to the fullest- It’s always tempting to toss items we aren’t using into empty drawers, but these spaces can quickly turn into a warzone. Managing all of your smaller items using a drawer organizing system will save you the headache of digging for those long lost scissors when you need them. Use empty boxes or purchase a drawer organizing system like this one at Shoplet to store smaller items and keep things neat and clean.
4) Think outside of the box– There’s lots of items that are outside the spectrum of office supplies that can serve as great organizing tools. Try a spice rack to get a handle on small items like paper clips and push pins. Mason jars are also a great way to organize various writing tools. Revamping an old shoebox to be a cable management system is also a great way to hide unsightly cables. Traditionally decorative table top items can serve as chic organizers too.
5) Spring clean all year- Ever season, make sure to go through your workspace and get rid of anything that no longer serves you. Do you have a drawer stuffed to the brim with mini ketchup and take out utensils? Have a pen cup jammed with a billion pens that don’t even work? Out they go! cleaning out your desk at least once a season will refresh your workspace and your outlook!
What tips do you have for a more organized desk? We wanna hear from you! Leave us a comment below to share.